Thursday, October 7, 2010

Glucose Screening

My doctor appointment went well Tuesday. I knew what to expect & heard all about the nasty glucose drink, but I didn’t think it was all the bad. It tasted like a REALLY sweet Fanta minus the carbonation. I had to drink it in 3 minutes & wait an hour to have my blood checked.

While I waited, I had a check up with my doctor. 1st was the dreaded scale……..but good news, I only gained 4 lbs since my last appointment (I was scared it would be more due to the sweet tooth I have developed lately). Next I got to hear Ava’s heart beat. It was strong at 145. Then we basically chatted about my progress & she answered all my questions. This time I asked if I should get the flu shot (yes), if I need to get the Rhogam shot (no because I’m 0 positive), & about holiday travel (she doesn’t think I should travel far from the hospital @ Christmas since I’ll be full term & we’ll see how I’m progressing @ Thanksgiving). I informed her that I’m in the progress of looking for a pediatrician & I will be scheduling our 3d/4d ultra sound soon.

Hour had pasted, time was up! I was sent to the lab to be pricked & have my blood level checked for gestational diabetes. Lucky for me, my screening came back at 136. Any score between 140 and 200 means that you'll have to take the three-hour glucose tolerance test for a definite diagnosis. So I'm in the clear (whew)!

My next appointment is in 2 weeks on Tuesday October 19th (just 4 days shy of 28 weeks & in my 3rd trimester) for a regular check up. WOW....I can't believe I'm starting to go every 2 weeks now.

No comments:

Post a Comment